The Senate on Tuesday, July 30, 2019 concluded the screening of the 43 Ministerial Nominees with screening of the last three Nominees. The three Nominees that were successful include:
1) Engr. Saleh Mamman - Taraba State.
2) Sabo Nanono – Kano State.
3) Lai Mohammed – Kwara State.
With the completion of the screening exercise, the Senate went further to approve the Nomination of the 43 Nominees. Consequently, they were ultimately confirmed for appointment as Ministers of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan presided over the session; congratulated the confirmed Nominees and urged them to work with legislature in moving Nigeria forward.
He disclosed that the National Assembly would not condone indiscipline or disobedience to legislative summons on the part of the Ministers.
He challenged the Executive to revert to the January to December Budget Circle, starting with 2020 budget presentation expected in the last week of September or first week of October 2019. Sen. Lawan sues for maximum cooperation between the Executive and Legislative Arms of Government in moving the country to the next level.
Meanwhile, the Red Chamber has announced the much awaited list of Standing Committee Chairmen and Vice Chairmen. The President of the Senate made public the leadership of 69 Committees on the floor of the Chamber. Here are some the names of the Committee Chairmen released:
1) Committee on Agriculture – Sen. Abdullahi Adamu (Nasarawa West)
2) Committee on Air Force - Sen. Bala Ibn Na’Allah (Kebbi South)
3) Committee on Anti-Corruption – Sen. Suleiman Abdul Kwari (Kaduna North)
4) Committee on Appropriation – Sen. Barau Jibrin (Kano North)
5) Committee on Federal Capital Territory – Sen. Muhammed Ali Ndume (Borno South)
6) Committee on Aviation – Sen. Dino Melaye (Kogi West)
7) Committee on Banking – Sen. Uba Sani (Kaduna Central)
8) Committee on Capital Market – Sen. Ibikunle Amosun (Ogun Central)
9) Committee on Communication – Sen. Oluremi Tinubu (Lagos Central)
10) Committee on NEPAD – Sen. Chimaroke Nnamani (Enugu East)
11) Committee on Culture and Tourism – Sen. Rochas Okorocha (Imo West)
12) Committee on Defence – Sen. Aliyu Wamakko (Sokoto North)
13) Committee on Petroleum (Downstream) – Sen. Muhammed Nakudu (Jigawa South)
14) Committee on Environment – Sen. Ike Ekweremadu (Enugu West)
15) Committee on Employment – Benjamin Uwajumogu (Imo North)
16) Committee on Federal Character & Inter Governmental Affairs – Sen. Danjuma Laah (Kaduna South)
17) Committee on FERMA – Sen. Gershom Bassey (Cross River South)
18) Committee on Finance – Sen. Adeola Olamilekan (Lagos West)
19) Committee on Housing – Sen. Sam Egwu (Ebonyi North)
20) Committee Local Content – Sen. Teslin Folarin (Oyo Central)
21) Committee on National Security and Intelligence – Sen. Ibrahim Gobir (Sokoto East)
22) Committee on Media and Publicity – Sen. Adedayo Adeyeye (Ekiti South)
23) Committee on Marine Transport – Sen. Danjuma Goje (Gombe Central)
24) Committee on Navy – Sen. George Thompson Sekibo (Rivers East)
25) Committee on Petroleum (Upstream) – Sen. Bassey Akpan (Akwa Ibom
26) Committee on Primary Health Care – Sen. Chukwuka Utazi (Enugu North)
27) Committee on Public Accounts – Sen. Mathew Urhoghide (Edo South)
28) Committee on Science Technology - Sen. Uche Lillian Ekwunife (Anambra Central)
29) Committee on Solid Minerals – Sen. Tanko Almakura (Nasarawa North)
30) Committee on Sports – Sen. Obinna Ogba (Eboyin Central)
31) Committee on SDGs – Sen. Aishatu Ahmed Dahiru (Adamawa Central)
32) Committee on TETFUND – Sen. Ahmed Babba Kaita – Katsina North)
33) Committee on Water Resources – Sen. Bello Mandiya (Katsina South)
34) Committee on Rules and Business – Sen. Sadik Umar – Kwara North)
35) Committee on Works – Sen. Adamu Aliero
Nevertheless, the Senate has adjourned session to Tuesday, September 24, 2019 to allow the Chamber embark on Annual Legislative Long Recess.